Lost wax bronze replica.
The orginal masterpiece is now conserved in the Bargello National Museum, Florence.
The life size “Mercury” was created by Giambologna in 1580 and was committed by Cardinal Ferdinando De’ Medici.
It was conceived as a statue for the lodge of Ferdinando’s Villa in Rome. The beautiful and light “Mercury” was standing on the top of a fountain in the center of a monumental staircase.
The wonderful flying God “Mercury” marked the beginning of a new interest of the Artist in the composition of figures with a different and unusual balance, of whic the maximum expression will be the "Rape of the Sabines."
This reproduction is a gigantic but faithful enlargement of the original, which is only 175 cm./68,9" high.
To request info for this item please use the following form